Dress and Grooming
The following rules apply to all students while they are on the Calero High School campus at any time and during school-sponsored activities. The appearance of students while at school has a direct impact on behavior and learning. For this reason, the following standards for student dress have been established according to district policy and California Education Code.
- Students are expected to dress in a manner that is neat and appropriate for school or work.
- Students may not wear clothing that disrupts the educational process.
- No sagging clothes (baggy pants); pants should be size appropriate and worn at the waist.
- No torn jeans
- No hats/ head covers, scarves, head rags (i.e. stocking caps, satin-type or hairdo covers, “do-rags”, etc.
- Clothing, jewelry and personal items (backpacks, fanny packs, gym bags, water bottles, etc.) shall be free of writing or pictures. Other items or insignia that are crude, gang-related, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, or that bear drug, alcohol or tobacco company advertising, promotions and likenesses, or that advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice are strictly prohibited.
- Clothing that bear logos, insignia, professional sports teams, letters or colors (NO RED or BLUE) signifying a gang, a crew, violent actions or weapons will not be tolerated.
- All tops (shirts and blouses) must cover the top of the shoulder and completely cover the stomach, chest and bare back. No bare midriffs.
- Shorts and skirts must be size appropriate (arm extended at side, short or skirt bottom reaches finger tips); tight fitting shorts, short shorts and cutoffs are prohibited.
- Only the student’s name, written in plain block letters, is permitted on backpacks or other personal items.
- No see-through shirts, blouses; no halter tops, tank tops/tube tops, undershirts, muscle shirts or other tops that expose the midriff.
- Shoes must always be worn; no house shoes or slippers
- No under clothing worn as outerwear. No pajamas or sleepwear of any kind.
- Red or blue shoes, shoes with red or blue accents or shoes with red or blue laces are not allowed.
- No sunglasses may be worn inside school buildings or classrooms.
- Any jewelry, body art, piercing or extreme hairstyle/color deemed by the school to be dangerous or a distraction to the learning environment is not acceptable (jewelry with spikes, chokers, wristbands or extra large rings).
- Students may not wear clothing that reveals the back or midriff, or through which skin and/or undergarment is visible, or when arms are raised becomes visible. These include but are not limited to: boxers, sheer tops, mesh tops, overly large openings at the neck or arms, off-the-shoulder tops, spaghetti straps, halter tops, swim tops, tube tops or clothing that exposes the midriff.