Dress and Grooming
rules apply to all students while they are on the Calero High School campus at
any time and during school-sponsored activities. The appearance of students while at school
has a direct impact on behavior and learning.
For this reason, the following standards for student dress have been
established according to district policy and California Education Code.
Students are expected to dress in a manner that is neat and appropriate for school or work.
- Students may not wear clothing that disrupts the educational process.
- No sagging clothes (baggy pants); pants should be size appropriate and worn at the waist.
- No torn jeans
- No hats/ head covers, scarves, head rags (i.e. stocking caps, satin-type or hairdo covers, “do-rags”, etc.
- Clothing, jewelry and personal items (backpacks, fanny packs, gym bags, water bottles, etc.) shall be free of writing or pictures. Other items or insignia that are crude, gang-related, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, or that bear drug, alcohol or tobacco company advertising, promotions and likenesses, or that advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice are strictly prohibited.
- Clothing that bear logos, insignia, professional sports teams, letters or colors (NO RED or BLUE) signifying a gang, a crew, violent actions or weapons will not be tolerated.
- All tops (shirts and blouses) must cover the top of the shoulder and completely cover the stomach, chest and bare back. No bare midriffs.
- Shorts and skirts must be size appropriate (arm extended at side, short or skirt bottom reaches finger tips); tight fitting shorts, short shorts and cutoffs are prohibited.
- Only the student’s name, written in plain block letters, is permitted on backpacks or other personal items.
- No see-through shirts, blouses; no halter tops, tank tops/tube tops, undershirts, muscle shirts or other tops that expose the midriff.
- Shoes must always be worn; no house shoes or slippers
- No under clothing worn as outerwear. No pajamas or sleepwear of any kind.
- Red or blue shoes, shoes with red or blue accents or shoes with red or blue laces are not allowed.
- No sunglasses may be worn inside school buildings or classrooms.
- Any jewelry, body art, piercing or extreme hairstyle/color deemed by the school to be dangerous or a distraction to the learning environment is not acceptable (jewelry with spikes, chokers, wristbands or extra large rings).
- Students may not wear clothing that reveals the back or midriff, or through which skin and/or undergarment is visible, or when arms are raised becomes visible. These include but are not limited to: boxers, sheer tops, mesh tops, overly large openings at the neck or arms, off-the-shoulder tops, spaghetti straps, halter tops, swim tops, tube tops or clothing that exposes the midriff.